What a wonderful Thanksgiving. Tim, Kaiser and I just got home from visiting Tim's parents for Thanksgiving. His mom is so sweet to include my parents and grandparents as well, and it makes for a good mix of people. Lots of chatting and catching up and way too much food. Barb's mother in law always put her daughters in law to work in the kitchen, so Barb won't let me help at all. Very sweet but I go crazy watching instead of helping. The tables will be turned come Christmas, so I enjoyed relaxing!
Every year when I was little, we would get together with my Mom's side of the family often at the retirement community where my Great Grandma lived. Before dinner, we would go to the chapel and say a prayer and then we would pass around a tiny basket that had colorful dried indian corn kernels in it. Each person was to take a few kernels and hold onto them as the basket was passed around. On the second passing of the basket, you were to put each kernel back into the basket and with each one, tell something you were thankful for.
As a little girl, this often stressed me out. I would take a big handful of corn and listen as everyone proclaimed their thanks. When it was my turn, I felt like the good stuff had already been said and I wanted to say something unique and special. I also knew that being thankful for anything material would not go over well. That's about the time I would end up crying and sniffling my thanks for what I thought were "too simple" things that had already been mentioned.
Well, 25 years later, I am happy to say that being thankful doesn't stress me at all. Maybe the things I am grateful for in life are simple or common or both, but it is the simple things that are often overlooked or taken for granted.
I've spent a lot of time taking health for granted. As a young person I think that is easy to fall into. No more. Every day that Tim is healthy is a good day in my world. I know that every one of his family and friends takes health a little more seriously now - for that I am also grateful.
I'm thankful to have a wonderful, strong and supportive family who loves and encourages us. Not just my family but Tim's family as well.
I am grateful for friends who are often like family to us. We grow together, we lean on each other and we love each and every one of you.
One of the big exciting things in our lives this year has been adopting Kaiser. I am grateful for the unconditional love he gives us and how excited he is to see us and how he always aims to please us.
Although it may be shallow, I am grateful for our beautiful new house. Maybe "house" isn't the right word - maybe "home" is better. I look forward to all the loving memories we will create here.
I'm thankful that we've had such a great newlywed year and how much I love Brittany and getting to experience being a step-mom to such a spirited and fun loving lady. She makes me feel appreciated.
I'm grateful to the many Doctors that have blessed us with their knowledge and service and who have fought for us at every turn.
In these tough economic times, I am glad that we are employed and that we are both fortunate enough to so enjoy the people we work with.
Tonight, hug your kids, kiss your partner, think about how blessed you are in so many ways and know that we are over here being thankful for your love, friendship and support.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Autumn
- Learning to navigate the unpredictable waters of life as a new mom and a young widow.... still with the sweetest puppy imaginable.
Labels
anson
(25)
ayla
(25)
baby fever
(34)
bad news
(4)
cake bites
(3)
cake bites by autumn
(4)
dating
(3)
deep thoughts?
(32)
development
(7)
family
(28)
friends
(16)
good news
(24)
grief
(1)
Home Improvements
(3)
IVF
(22)
job
(5)
kai
(8)
love
(6)
mommyhood
(20)
moving forward
(1)
pregnancy
(17)
questions
(11)
random thoughts
(25)
stupid effing cancer
(24)
suspense
(23)
the department
(7)
the twins
(44)
Tim
(47)
TMI
(7)
venting
(7)
widowhood
(12)
0 comments:
Post a Comment