Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image

Oh, Special Day!

  • Wednesday, December 01, 2010
  • I know that we are married. And that our anniversary is in April. And that maybe I should focus solely on that day now, but you know what? All day I've been thinking about how awesome and special today it. It is December 1, 2010, and that makes me think.

    It was December 1, 2006 - a Friday. I called my friend Nancy after work and somehow got her to agree to go out that night. I know it took a lot of pleading and whining because she was tired and working late. Thankfully I have mystical powers and she agreed. We headed out late, even for us. It was after 10pm when we arrived at our favorite watering hole of the moment.

    I wasn't looking for Mr. Right, or even Mr. Right Now. I was content in my singleness and feeling like I'd rather be alone than with the wrong person. I was having a blast spending time alone and spending time with friends.

    Across the crowded room, Nancy spotted an old friend and headed over to say hello. I got us drinks and made my way over to them. I gave Nancy her drink and greeted Kevin and was given the introduction to his friends. That's when I saw him: Kevin's Cute Friend.

    Now, my Grandma had enjoyed telling me a lot about young people she knows back home in Illinois and how they meet their perfect mate at church. She would usually follow this up by asking if I wanted to go to church on Sunday. I would just smile.

    Although this was most certainly NOT a church, I noticed that Kevin's Cute Friend was not wearing a ring. I also noticed that there was no purse or other evidence of a woman there next to him, so I asked if I could sit down on the bench beside him. We talked and laughed. I enjoyed  his stories and his sparkly eyes.

    At some point Kevin and Nancy chat about us.... Nancy thinks I'm just enjoying flirting and they should think nothing of it. Oh, how wrong she was.... 


     This is the night we met - I'm so happy we have a photo of that night! 


     As the night comes to a close, the 5 of us are discussing going for something to eat afterward. One by one, they all bow out. Even Nancy - who had never before left me alone with a man I'd just met - excused herself. And so it happened that I sat across from a handsome guy at an IHOP talking until 5 in the morning.

    I texted Nancy when I got home. "Home safe. Hmmmm...."

    He drove me home, he gave me his card and I gave him a kiss. And as they say, "the rest is history"!

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    (c) Copyright 2010 Tim & Autumn. Blogger template by Bloggermint