Real time update.....
I am interrupting the regularly scheduled super-intriguing series to bring you an update that is happening right now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was laid off in March after almost 9 years with my company. The recession has taken it's toll and, unfortunate though it may be, I ended up on the job hunting trail.
I accepted a position in April and began working there the first week in May. I was a little torn about it, but thought it the most fair position to accept because I knew we were trying fertility treatments and I felt that I could accomplish my purpose there in the time I felt I had.
From time to time Tim has appointments that I need to attend. Not every treatment, not every meeting with the Doctors, but some of the big ones. Ones where decisions are being made, where a lot of information is being relayed. It helps for me to be there taking notes so we remember everything and can research at home later.
I had attended 3 such appointments with Tim when I was reprimanded at work for my excessive absences. Thinking that honestly is the best policy, I leveled with my boss man and explained that my husband is battling stage 4 cancer. That did not go well. I was told that I needed to "deal with cancer outside work hours" and was placed on an action plan. It was explained to me that with me dealing with "all of this" that the company and I were just "not on the same path". I never imagined people so cold.
There are more lovely antidotes I could share, but there is really no point. I was miserable doing work that was not what I was hired to do. My personal, stamped mail was opened and read by someone in the office and details of my personal life best kept private were disclosed. I was working for someone other than who I was I hired to work for and was being treated like a second class citizen when all I needed was a little compassion. I had my personal things in a bag in a desk drawer for the last month, so Friday when I was told it just "wasn't working out" it took me about 2 minutes to be walking out the door and climbing into my car.
No, it's not a great loss. Part of me is relieved not to be there come Monday. But the other part of me, the "equal contributor" side can't stand the thought of not having a job, not financially contributing. Especially right now when Tim is fighting so hard and so nauseated he can barely function, let alone work enough to make up for my lost income.
I need a job, people. This "Fantastic Administrative Assistant" needs to contribute, like stat. Any leads you have in the east valley would be much appreciated.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Autumn
- Learning to navigate the unpredictable waters of life as a new mom and a young widow.... still with the sweetest puppy imaginable.
Labels
anson
(25)
ayla
(25)
baby fever
(34)
bad news
(4)
cake bites
(3)
cake bites by autumn
(4)
dating
(3)
deep thoughts?
(32)
development
(7)
family
(28)
friends
(16)
good news
(24)
grief
(1)
Home Improvements
(3)
IVF
(22)
job
(5)
kai
(8)
love
(6)
mommyhood
(20)
moving forward
(1)
pregnancy
(17)
questions
(11)
random thoughts
(25)
stupid effing cancer
(24)
suspense
(23)
the department
(7)
the twins
(44)
Tim
(47)
TMI
(7)
venting
(7)
widowhood
(12)
2 comments:
OMG Autumn, I am so sorry!!! How awful. How incredibly callous! Take care of cancer outside work hours...yes, you know, just set aside all your worries and fears and the want to be there for the one you love in his most difficult time... forget all about that and concentrate on your job. Sheesh. What the heck!? Though I know how hard it is being unemployed, and I'm sure even more so right now, I'm sure you will find something that works out MUCH better than this group of folks who obviously care more about the bottom line than the people who get them there. My heart goes out to you. Hugs!!
There are no words to explain how much I want to throw a rock through their window right now. Ummm... can you please provide the name and location of this so-called "employer"? I mean... hypothetically.... I mean... uggghhhh
You will make it through, my dear. You always do. And it will make you stronger.
In the meantime... send me an address so I can send a poop-o-gram.
Post a Comment