My parents came over to help me with a few things in the late afternoon and I confessed that I was so terrified that something serious was wrong that I had been unable to have a nap or think of anything else.
Normally I would probably go by Tim's logic on this which is that "sometimes dogs feel crappy just like people do" and "it will usually pass on it's own". But I just couldn't shake my fear. Kaiser has been my best buddy the last few months. It makes me feel like I am not a crazy woman talking to myself if I am talking to him. His big bark and protective nature make me feel safe. His tender side licks my tears away when I'm sad and missing Tim. I just couldn't let anything happen to him.
I called a friend of Tim's whose wife is a great vet. Even though she was at a Christmas party, she talked me through things before sending us off the the ER. (Better safe than sorry.)
My dad went with us and Kai was so sweet with all the staff. He just felt too crummy to make their night exciting. They ran a couple different blood tests and took a few x-rays to see if he had possibly swallowed something. The blood tests came back fairly normal. The x-rays showed nothing foreign in his tummy (thank goodness - apparently he is smart enough not to swallow rocks), but a lot of gas.
He was sent home with a probable diagnosis of Gastritis and possible Pancreatitis. He is on a low-residue diet and Prilosec once a day. He seems to be making progress toward recovery and was even PLAYING last night - an enormous improvement. His new vet called to check on him this morning and is happy with the progress he is making thus far.
Looks like I got my first taste of motherly worry.... lots more to come, I'm sure.

0 comments:
Post a Comment